Oral Sedation Dentistry – Winchester VA
Sedation dentistry involves the utilizing of calming medications to make your dental visit relaxing and stress free. At Apple Blossom Dentistry we offer this helpful option of oral sedation for our patients who would typically avoid necessary dental treatments. Patients with low to moderate levels of dental anxiety can take advantage of nitrous oxide sedation. This odorless gas with a slightly sweet taste is given before your dental treatment has started, this way you can rest while your dental procedure is performed. Laughing gas is safe and convenient. You will remain conscious and capable of responding to Dr. Haynie’s requests. The effects wear off quickly when your treatment is over, allowing you to normally go about the rest of the day. This option can also be used for patients whose treatment will require a long time in the dentist’s chair. It can make it easier for a patient to get a complex or multi-step treatment completed in one visit.
Oral Conscious Sedation
When dental anxiety is more severe than the addressed solutions provided by nitrous oxide, there is another alternative. Oral conscious sedation is very helpful for patients who need more assistance in relaxing compared to what nitrous oxide can provide. The alternative oral solution is through the administering of oral sedatives. Most patients remain awake and are able to comply with Dr. Haynie’s requests, there are also some patients who are relaxed enough to fall asleep.
The Benefits from Dental Sedation
It is very common for patients to suffer from dental anxiety. This is why we at Apple Blossom Dentistry provide solutions for our patients that have certain fears. If you have delayed visiting a dentist out of fear or apprehension, we’re happy to inform you that we offer both nitrous oxide and oral conscious sedation dentistry to help.
Some Common Causes of Dental Anxiety:
- Fear of pain. The fear of pain is the most common reason that patients cite for avoiding dental visits. This fear can be caused by a past bad dental experience or by hearing stories of other people’s painful dental procedures. However, advances in modern dental technology have rendered most dental procedures nowadays painless.
- Fear of injections/fear of ineffective or insufficient anesthetic. The mere idea of a hypodermic needle makes many patients uneasy, especially when used in the mouth. In addition, some patients express hesitation because they fear the anesthesia will be ineffective at preventing pain once the procedure has begun.
- Fear of, or discomfort regarding the anesthetic’s side effects. Some patients are afraid of the potential side effects of anesthesia such as dizziness, light-headedness, or nausea. Others dislike the numbness feeling that one gets from local anesthetics.
- Helplessness and loss of control. Some patients may panic at the feeling of allowing someone else to work in their mouth, especially because they cannot see what is going on.
- Embarrassment and loss of personal space. Some patients are uncomfortable with the dentist and/or hygienist being so close to their faces, having someone else’s hands in their mouths, etc. Additionally, patients may experience embarrassment due to fear of mouth odors or because of the state of the dental health.
Contact us today at Apple Blossom Dentistry and schedule a consultation with Dr. Haynie to discuss your options of oral sedation dentistry and the benefits.
We love our patients and always strive to provide friendly and professional dental care in a very comfortable environment. Contact us today to schedule an initial consultation at our dental office in Winchester, VA. Focusing on family dentistry, cosmetic dentistry and all your dental needs. Call us at (540) 667-3267